Home : Organization : Office of the Staff Judge Advocate : Real Estate Claims

Real Estate Claims

Government civilian employees who make a Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) move and are authorized reimbursement of real estate expenses in their orders, may file a claim or request for payment in accordance with the Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) section 0545. 

JTR and DFAS procedures require a review of the claim “by an official designated by the commanding officer of an activity.” The review must determine whether the expenses claimed are reasonable in amount and customarily paid by the seller or buyer in the location of the property. The Redstone OSJA Claims Officer has been designated by the AMCOM commanding general to review such claims.

Not all expenses incurred in the sale/purchase of a residence are reimbursable. Timing of the sale/purchase may affect the claim. DFAS provides a website with real estate claim information: https://www.dfas.mil/CivilianEmployees/Civilian-Permanent-Change-of-Station-PCS/Civilian-PCS-Entitlement-Guide/Real-Estate/

A claim for real estate closing costs reimbursement is presented using DD Form 1705. The claim must be documented with the PCS orders, real estate contract, the settlement closing disclosure, any receipts for outside of closing payments, and a completed 1351-2 travel claim. The package may be delivered for review to the OSJA Claims Division by email or hand delivery.